The Canadian government has several programs to help refugees resettle in Canada.

Refugee claimants, Convention refugees and persons in need of protection have certain rights around employment and education. There are also several programs to help you get settled in Canada, such as health care, financial assistance, and settlement assistance.

Health Care

Some refugees and refugee claimants are eligible for the Interim Federal Health (IFH) program. The IFH program pays for some medical services after you arrive in Canada and until you are covered by a provincial health care plan.

Financial Assistance

Under the Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP), some resettled refugees can get:

  • Assistance at the airport or port of entry;
  • Temporary accommodation and help to find permanent accommodation;
  • Money to buy basic household items and clothing; and
  • Information and assistance to settle in Canada.

Under the Immigration Loans Program, some refugees can get a loan to pay for:

  • The costs of medical examinations abroad;
  • Travel documents;
  • Transportation to Canada; and
  • Housing rental, telephone deposits and work tools.


Choose your Reaction!
Leave a Comment