MARCH 12, 2021: Canada has invited 27,332 candidates to apply for Canadian permanent residency through its annual Express Entry draw this year.

The draw was nearly six times larger than the previous year’s edition – the usual number of invitations each year ranges from 3,500 – 5,000.

The Canadian government has previously committed to welcoming more than 400,000 immigrants this year and this announcement will no doubt go a long way to achieving this goal.

What is Canadian Permanent Residency?

A permanent resident is not a Canadian citizen. They are a person who has been given a permanent resident status by the Government by immigrating to Canada.

Permanent residents are citizens of other countries. A person in Canada temporarily, like a student, foreign worker, or a working holiday maker is not a permanent resident.

Why apply for Canadian permanent residency?

As a permanent resident you are entitled to:

  • Receive social benefits such as health care coverage
  • Live, work or study anywhere in Canada
  • Apply for Canadian citizenship
  • You are protected under Canadian law
  • You obtain the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

How do you become a permanent resident of Canada?

First, you must apply to the province or territory where you want to live and be nominated.

After they have nominated you, you can apply to IRCC for permanent residency.

There is no requirement for presence in Canada to apply for permanent residence in Canada. However, there is a requirement to be in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years in order to keep the permanent residency status.

Your application will then be assessed by an IRCC officer following Canadian immigration rules.

What is the Express Entry system?

Express Entry is an online immigration application system used by the Canadian government to manage Canadian permanent residence applications for the three programs under the Federal High Skilled category.

These programs include the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, and the Canadian Experience Class.

The Federal Skilled Worker Program

This is the world’s first program to evaluate immigration candidates objectively.

People who are educated, have work experience and who can speak one of Canada’s official languages are selected under the Express Entry Immigration system as they meet the requirements to apply for permanent residence.

Trying to obtain immigration through the Federal Skilled Worker Program is a good idea as you can secure permanent residence within six months of applying.

Federal Skilled Trades Program

This is part of a major effort by federal and provincial governments to welcome more skilled trades workers to Canada as there are labour shortages in trade’s occupations.

Canada has an aging population and low birth rate therefore, it is relying more on immigration to support its labor force and economic growth.

Canadian Experience Class

This is part of Canada’s federal and provincial governments to encourage more foreign workers and international students to build their futures in Canada.

Canadian Experience Class candidates who are successful through the Express Entry system are likely to be able to gain their permanent residence status within six months.

However, Canada has not yet held an all-program draw in 2021, which includes candidates from the Federal Skilled Worker Program because of COVID 19.

Instead, they have decided that CEC and PNP candidates have been invited in separate program-specific draws.

Canada is prioritizing these candidates during the COVID 19 pandemic because they are more likely to already be in the country.

How to be eligible for Canadian Permanent Residence?

Firstly, you can only apply for permanent residence through Express Entry if you’ve received an invitation to apply.

To get into the Express Entry group of candidates you must make sure you are eligible.

If you are currently in Canada, now is the best time to get your profile together and submit it to the Express Entry system.

Once your profile is sent in, it will have to wait for an Invitation to Apply (ITA).

While waiting for your ITA you can always take steps to improve your Comprehensive Ranking Systems (CRS) score, such as improving your skills and languages.

You can submit your language test results or Educational Credential Assessment to help improve your score.

You will need a CRS score which is based on your age, education, work experience, and language proficiency in English or French.

This year there was a historically low CRS requirement. There were 27,332 principal applicants invited, who only needed a CRS of at least 75 compared to previous years, where the lowest CRS cut-off requirement ever was 199 points so here’s your chance not to miss out!

Received your invitation to apply – what’s next?

Once you have received your invitation to apply, it’s important to note that your Express Entry invitation to apply is valid for 90 days only.

It’s a good idea to start filling out the Express Entry online form once you have received your invitation to apply so that you can make sure you have all the required information and documents needed before your invitation expires.

Source: workingholidayincanada

If you have any more queries, you can ask your question in the forum of Canadians Live.

Types of Employment in Canada


Learn About Different Types of Employment in Canada

There are several types of employment arrangements in Canada. Understand the differences, so you can work out what is the best type of work that would suit your needs, profile, education (if any), goals, etc.

Permanent Employment

In Canada, the most common form of employment is permanent employment. In this type of position, the employee usually gets a package that involves base salary, health benefits, and perhaps some other perks such as bonuses, company stock option plans, personal incentives, etc. Permanent employees often have opportunities for education and personal development.

For this type of position, ordinarily, there are different payroll deductions both employee and employer must pay such as the Employment Insurance (EI), Canada Pension Plan, Income Tax, Union Dues (if applicable), etc. In addition, this type of employee is eligible for government support (Employment Insurance payments) in the case he or she loses a job for no fault of their own.

Contract/Freelance Employment

One can also be employed on contract (or as a freelancer), which usually entails being paid a fixed amount of money for a particular project with no additional benefits. Some variations where contract workers are allocated benefits additional to their pay are possible. This type of worker can be hired to address a particular problem that exists for a limited time, say several months and that contract worker must leave the company once the contract expires unless a new, longer-term contract is negotiated.

Contract employees are not required to make deductions for the employment insurance or the Canadian pension plan, although they may elect to do so. Income tax is paid at the end of the year and in some instances, contract employees may qualify for employment insurance, however, this has to be determined by the Canada Revenue Agency and the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada through an interview process.

In order to be a contract employee, companies usually prefer that you have a registered corporation so that they can avoid some contingent liabilities if they arise. However, this is not a legal requirement. To freelance, you need an individual GST number, which can be obtained from Revenue Canada without having to open a business.

Part-time Employment

In Canada, many jobs exist that offer occasional, weekend, evening, partial day or daily part-time employment. Most of those jobs are service jobs and are available in the hospitality industry, food stores, retail stores and so on. Depending on the company, these types of jobs are paid differently but they usually pay the minimum wage (currently the average is CAD$10.15 per hour).

Other Types of Employment

There are also other types of employment such as summer jobs, internships, co-operative, seasonal, unpaid voluntary work and so on. Depending on where you are in Canada and/or your affiliation with an educational institution, you may get different opportunities.

Volunteering in Canada

Many employers prefer to hire people with experience of working in Canada (this is obviously a problem if you don’t have that experience). If you are studying or have the financial resources to dedicate a few weeks full-time or a few hours per week to volunteer with a not-for-profit organization in Canada, that could pay enormously when you look for a job because of the following two reasons:

  • You will have proof of “Canadian Experience”
  • You will have demonstrated your concern for others and your willingness to help without expecting anything in return. Many employers in Canada will consider those who volunteer before those who do not.


source: justlanded

If you have any more queries, you can ask your question in the forum of Canadians Live.