How to get a job in Canada

If you’re wondering how to get a job in Canada, but not sure how, you’re in the right place. With focus and motivation, it’s possible to find jobs in Canada in your field. But, it’s important to plan thoroughly.

These tips have been compiled based on our experience and lots of feedback from our loyal contributors. By applying these tips in your search for jobs in Canada, you can plan for success.

1. How to get a job in Canada: It starts with your resume (or ‘CV’) :

resumes that list duties rather than personal or team achievements — will hinder you from making an impact and stop you from getting a job in Canada before even reaching the interview stage. Read these tips carefully, ensure you understand the objective, and apply these simple concepts to help your resume impress an employer. Your resume is the all-important first impression, so don’t fall short at this crucial first step when applying for jobs in Canada.

2. Be selective

In many professions, responding to online job ads is not a truly effective way to find jobs in CanadaBe selective in your job search. Do not blanket bomb 30 companies with the same resume and cover letter, as managers in companies talk to each other. This is a common mistake. Networking, cold calling, and informational interviews are much more effective ways to distribute your resume.

3. Be enthusiastic

Always ensure you have a contact for the company and follow up within a week of submitting your resume to show your interest. “Thank-you” emails after an interview set you apart from other candidates applying for jobs in Canada. These marginal gains can add up to getting a job in Canada.

4. Get strong endorsements

It’s easier to find jobs in Canada if you have strong references. Try to obtain employment references from previous employers, but only if relevant to the jobs you are applying for in Canada.

5. Use the tools available to you

Leverage LinkedIn. This social media tool for professionals is effectively your online resume and network. Recruiters and employers are using this tool every day to source candidates for jobs in Canada.

6. Learn how to network

Effective networking allows you to gain useful insight and gain crucial contacts, both socially and professionally. Research networking events for your profession or ask contacts how best to meet more people in your field.

Remember, most available jobs in Canada never get advertised publicly — this is the so-called hidden job market — so don’t sit at home waiting for that job to come and find you. Networking is crucial to finding jobs in Canada. 

You need to get your name out there across your industry so that when a job comes up, you are in position to be called in.

Get the word out to all of the local contacts you have that you’re looking for work, and always look to build new contacts as it’s crucial to your success in a new city.

One way to expand your local network of contacts (and get that all-important Canadian work experience on your resume) is to volunteer

7. Be open to help

Never turn down an offer of help when finding a job in Canada. Be proactive and determined. Send an email or pick up the phone to thank the person who offered you help or guidance.

8. Get accredited

Your profession may require your foreign qualifications to be accredited in Canada. Professions such as teaching, physiotherapy, nursing, and social work, among others, usually require additional accreditation. This process can take a while, so be prepared.

9. Be confident – you deserve to be.

Moving to a new country is a challenge. Finding jobs in Canada when you have to build your support network from scratch is also tricky, but you can accomplish this too!

It’s important to believe in yourself throughout the process – and to make sure others know you believe in yourself too.

10. And finally…

Remember our advice about not turning down help? Check in with your local library, as many host regular sessions with tips for getting jobs in your area.

Source : moving2canada

The Canada Experience Class

The Canada Experience Class

Individuals who have worked in Canada and who wish to permanent stability in Canada with their accompanying dependents may qualify to apply for Permanent Residence under the Canadian Experience Class.

Canada Experience Class program recognizes the benefits to Canada by candidates who have spent significant amounts of time pursuing their studies and working careers in Canada.

It recognizes their contributions to the Canadian economy and the creation of strong links to Canadian society.

This strengthens the permanent residence programs to Canada.

Requirements for Canadian Experience Class

Eligibility for permanent residence under this class is assessed on a pass-fail basis where the primary criteria are the following: 

  • The candidate has acquired 12 months of full-time work experience in an occupation categorized as Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupation Classification (NOC). Qualifying occupations are those of a managerial, professional, technical or skilled trade nature.
    • The qualifying Canadian work experience was acquired within the 36 months immediately preceding the date of application;
  • The candidate demonstrates sufficient proficiency in one of Canada’s official languages. The level of proficiency required is determined by the occupation in which the candidate gained qualifying Canadian work experience;
  • The candidate is not inadmissible to Canada on medical, criminal or security grounds.

Qualifying work experience

Qualifying work experience must be full time and skilled. “Full-time” refers to 30 hours per week.

Part-time work will be considered, but only on a pro-rata basis. For example, 6 months in a part-time skilled position at 15 hours per week will count as three months towards the required 12. Multiple concurrent part-time jobs can also be used to meet the experience requirement.

Any work experience acquired in Canada without valid work authorization will not be considered. Nor will periods of self-employment or work experience gained while the candidate was enrolled in a program of full-time study.

Language proficiency

Minimum proficiency must be demonstrated in all four language abilities, namely: Reading; writing; speaking; listening. Applicants whose qualifying work experience is in an occupation categorized as NOC Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A must meet Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 7. Applicants whose qualifying work experience is in an occupation categorized as NOC Skill Level B must meet CLB level 5.

Equivalencies between the required level of proficiency in French or English and test results under the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) are:

IELTS General Training Test Results
     Speaking         Listening            Reading            Writing
CELPIP General Test Results 
     Speaking         Listening            Reading            Writing       
Test d’évaluation de français (TEF Canada) Test Results
     Speaking         Listening            Reading            Writing       
Test des connaissances de français (TCF Canada) Test Results
     Speaking         Listening            Reading            Writing       


The Canadian Experience Class is an ideal program for individuals who have become familiar with life in Canada and who wish to resettle here. For qualifying candidates, it is an expedient and secure option for obtaining permanent residence, with objective criteria. Moreover, the application can be made from within Canada, while the candidate has appropriate temporary status.

In short, it allows a seamless transition from temporary to permanent status in Canada.

*The Canadian Experience Class does not apply to foreigners wishing to establish themselves in the Province of Quebec;

however the work experience accumulated in that province is valid to meet the CEC program requirements if the candidate wishes to relocate to another province.

source :

How to Immigrate to Canada as a Couple


There are many ways to immigrate to Canada as a couple, from spousal sponsorship to more traditional paths with your spouse joining you as a dependent. Spousal relationships that are considered for Canadian immigration purposes include same-sex couples and common-law partners.    

The spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner looking to immigrate to Canada under spousal sponsorship category

must be sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

If you applied to sponsor spouse outside Canada, as the decision is made and sponsorship application is approved,

Canadian immigration authorities will issue the applicant Canada Spouse Visa (a confirmation of permanent residence).

If you are looking to apply for spousal sponsorship inside Canada, the application must processed first and once approved,

applicant’s status will change from temporary to permanent.

Spousal sponsorship within Canada gives an opportunity to person being sponsored and living in Canada to apply for an Open-Work Permit.

Spousal Sponsorship

One of the quickest ways to get your partner over to Canada is through the Spousal Sponsorship Category (part of Family Class immigration).

This is the best option for those who already have a spouse living in Canada or are married to a Canadian who is able to sponsor them for permanent residence.

If you want to Immigrate to Canada as a Couple, the Sponsor will need to first establish permanent residence in Canada through one of the many immigration programs available. Once the Sponsor has achieved permanent residence the application be made for sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner. Immigrating with your partner as a dependent means you can both apply for permanent residency together.

Relationship Requirements
SpouseIn this case, the Sponsor and the Sponsored person are legally married. For marriage in Canada, a Certificate of marriage is required from the province where the marriage took place. Marriage outside of Canada must be lawful in the country where it took place as well as Canada. A same-sex marriage that took place outside of Canada can not be considered under this category but an application can be made under the other two.
Common-Law PartnerIn this category, the Sponsor and Sponsored person must cohabit consistently for a minimum of one year.
Conjugal PartnerThis category is for applicants who do not qualify under the other two categories for exceptional circumstances such as same-sex marriage restrictions in their country of origin or other immigration barriers. The Sponsor and Sponsored person must demonstrate a level of commitment (financial ties/emotional ties/joint assets) that spans the period of at least one year.

Sponsor Applicant Requirements

  • Sponsor must be at least 18 years of age
  • Be a Canadian permanent resident living in Canada/Canadian citizen
  • No criminal history
  • Cannot have been sponsored as a spouse within the last five years

Sponsored Applicant Requirements

If you have any more queries, you can ask your question in the forum of Canadians Live.



Here are the most important things you need to do, bring and learn to get prepared for Canada.

1. Get your documents translated into French or English.

When you arrive in Canada and are speaking to immigration officers, be prepared to show your documents and their certified translations if asked.

2. Find out if your profession is regulated in Canada.

Teachers, engineers, architects, accountants, social workers, any medical professionals, and trades such as electricians, plumbers, and welders, will need to get a Canadian license or certification before they can work in Canada. It differs by province.

3. Purchase private health insurance.

You will need it in case you have to pay for emergency medical treatment until you get Canadian government insurance (3 months or longer).

4. Learn about the province where you are planning to settle.

To get prepared for Canada It is very important to understand that different provinces have different laws and rules, including those that apply to healthcare, education, work licensing and other issues that directly affect immigrants’ lives. Do not research Canada in general – research your specific province.

5. Collect and bring to Canada all the official documents belonging to you and the members of your family:

  • birth certificates
  • passports
  • marriage/divorce certificates; death certificates for a deceased spouse
  • adoption records for adopted children
  • educational diplomas and certificates; transcripts that list the courses you took to obtain your degree or certificate
  • vaccination records
  • medical records (prescriptions, test results, x-rays, allergies) and dental records
  • driver’s license and/or IDP (International Driving Permit)

6. Prepare your Proof of Funds

You can bring money into Canada in different forms. When you arrive, you must tell a border official if you are carrying more than C$10,000 (per family if traveling as a family).

If you bring more than C$10,000 (or the equivalent in another currency) per family or a single traveler into Canada, you must declare the amount when you arrive. You must fill out the form Cross-Border Currency or Monetary Instruments Report – Individual (E677) [PDF].

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) has the right to seize any money over C$10,000 that is not declared, you may need to pay a fine or face other penalties if you fail to declare money above the threshold. 

You can bring money into Canada in the form of:

  • Cash
  • Securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills)
  • Negotiable instruments in bearer form (for example, bank drafts, cheques, travellers’ cheques, money orders)
  • Transfer of funds between your bank and a Canadian bank

Speak with your financial institution before you come to Canada about currency laws and regulations in Canada and in the country you are leaving. There may be restrictions on the amount of money you can take out of the country.

If you are coming from a country that has currency restrictions, you may have up to 3 years to import goods purchased with this money in your former country. However, you must show CBSA proof that you faced restrictions.

7. Learn about the Cost of Living in Canada

Find out how much things cost (rent, utilities, food, transportation, car insurance, etc.) Most newcomers are shocked when they learn about Sales Tax and Pay Cheque Deductions.

8.  Learn about the Psychological Challenges of Immigration

If you have never immigrated before, you need to understand what the immigration process means from the social and socio-economic points of view.

9. Prepare yourself for the Five Stages of Culture Shock

99% of all immigrants go through the 5 stages after their arrival: Honeymoon/Tourist Stage, Crisis Stage, Coping/Adjustment Stage, Independence Stage, and Reverse Culture Shock. 

10. Understand Canadian Experience and Why Employers Ask for it

Many newcomers are shocked when faced with the question “Do you have Canadian experience?” 

11. Know what Canadian Employers Expect: Important Work Skills

Most newcomers don’t understand that in Canada skills have a different meaning than in their first country. For example,’ teamwork’ actually means ‘conflict resolution. To learn more about what Canadian employers expect.

12. Prepare for a Job Interview in Canada

A job interview in Canada is different than a job interview in other countries.

13. Learn Canadian English

Communication is the most important tool you can have to settle successfully in Canada and find a good job.

  • Conversation Management Strategies
  • What Canadians Talk about
  • Body Language in Canada
  • Speaking Politely in Canada
  • Canadian Communication Style
  • Phrasal Verbs and Idioms in Canada 

14. Learn how to dress for winter in Canada

Don’t bring one thick warm sweater for winter!

Sources: englishandimmigration – settlement

If you have any more queries, you can ask your question in the forum of Canadians Live.

Health System in Canada


Canadian Public Health Insurance

The health system in Canada is public. It aims to serve everyone equally and it is governed by the Canada Health Act. While the federal government provides financial support for the health system, the delivery of the health care services is managed by provincial governments.

For example, the province of Ontario has the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP), which provides health care services to residents of Ontario and individuals from other provinces and countries that suffer health problems in Ontario. Health care in Canada is free of charge to permanent residents for ‘medically necessary’ treatments. However, most medications required for treatment have to be paid for. If treatment is deemed not to be medically necessary (such as elective cosmetic surgery), this is not covered by the public system. A large proportion of Canadians has employment or other health plans that cover part or all of the costs of the medicines required for treatment.

Canada’s public health system means that health care services are provided to everyone equally. However, in recent years, crowded hospitals and emergency rooms, and long waiting times for the treatment have induced a public outcry for better service delivery and private health care centers. Most recently, a court in Quebec ruled that individuals have the right to choose between public and private health care. It is illegal in Canada to perform medically necessary services outside of the public health system; therefore, there are no private medical establishments. For non-medically necessary services (such as elective cosmetic surgery), there are a number of private establishments.

Eligibility and Conditions

In order to be eligible for health care treatment and services in Canada, you must have a permanent resident status. Some refugees are allowed permanent resident status while in Canada and they are eligible for health care.

Keep in mind that there is a 3-month period after your arrival in Canada (if arriving as a permanent resident) before you are eligible for health care. You should purchase private health insurance for that three-month period.

In order to apply for health care in Canada, you will need three of the following:

For Permanent Residents / Landed Immigrants:

  • Canadian Immigration Identification Card
  • Confirmation of permanent residence (IMM 5292 Form)
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000 Form)
  • For Other Immigration

For Stateless Persons

  • Letter from Immigration and Refugee Board confirming Convention Refugee or Protected Person status
  • Protected Person status document
  • Temporary Resident Permit (restrictions apply)
  • Work Permit (restrictions apply)
  • Written confirmation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada that you have applied for permanent residence in Canada and have passed the immigration medical exam
  • Your passport and landed immigrant papers / permanent resident card.

For province-specific regulations, visit the Health Canada website. For example, in Ontario, to be eligible for health coverage by the Provincial health plan you have to belong to one of the following categories:

  • You are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or landed immigrant, convention refugee, or are registered as an Indian under the Indian Act
  • You have submitted an Application for Permanent Residence or an Application for Landing and have been confirmed by Citizenship and Immigration Canada as having satisfied the medical requirements for landing
  • You are a foreign worker who holds a valid work permit or employment authorization which names a Canadian employer situated in Ontario and your prospective occupation and is valid for at least six months
  • You are a foreign clergy member who will be providing services to a religious congregation in Ontario for at least six months
  • You hold a Temporary Resident Permit or Minister’s Permit with a case type 80 (for adoption only), 86, 87, 88 or 89
  • You are the spouse, same-sex partner, or dependent child (under 19 years of age) of a foreign clergy member or eligible foreign worker who is to be employed in Ontario for a period of at least three consecutive years
  • You hold a work permit or employment authorization under the Live-In Caregivers in Canada Program or the Foreign Domestic Movement
  • You have been issued a work permit or employment authorization under the CaribbeanCommonwealth and Mexican Season Agricultural Workers Program administered by the federal department of Citizenship and Immigration
  • And you make your permanent and principal home in Ontario
  • And you are in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date you establish residency in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residency)
  • And you are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period

Private Health Insurance

Health System in Canada covers basic services, including primary care physicians and hospitals, there are many services that are not covered. These include special requests like dental services, optometrists, and excluded prescription medications.

Private health insurance plans are usually offered as part of employee benefit packages in many companies. Incentives usually include vision and dental care. Alternatively, Canadians can purchase insurance packages from private insurance providers.

The main reason many choose to purchase private insurance is to supplement primary health coverage. For those requiring services that may not be covered under provincial health insurance such as corrective lenses, medications, or home care, a private insurance plan offsets such medical expenses.

While private insurance can benefit those with certain specific needs, many Canadians choose to rely exclusively on the public health system.

Accessing Health Care

Accessing Canada’s health care system involves first applying for a provincial health card. Excluding inmates, the Canadian Armed Forces, and certain members of the RCMP, the Canada Health Act requires all residents of a province or territory to be accepted for health coverage. There is a waiting period in place for new immigrants that cannot exceed three months.

Once a health card is assigned, it is used whenever visiting a physician or health care provider. The health card contains an identification number, which is used to access a person’s medical information.

After obtaining health coverage, one can register with a primary care physician. For routine visits to a physician, one needs only present their health card. There are typically no forms to be filled out or individual service fees.

The availability of physicians depends largely on the number of doctors and the current demand for medical services. Currently, there is about 1 primary care doctor for every 1000 Canadians. Health System in Canada is a very essential part for the lives of Canadians.

Health Care Funding

Health care in Canada is funded at both the provincial and federal levels. The financing of health care is provided via taxation both from personal and corporate income taxes. Additional funds from other financial sources like sales tax and lottery proceeds are also used by some provinces.

Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario also charge health premiums to supplement health funding, but such premiums are not required for health coverage as per the Canada Health Act.

Sources: justlanded – theimmigrationoffice

If you have any more queries, you can ask your question in the forum of Canadians Live.



If you are searching for information to immigrate to Canada and are ready then click the below link to submit a request for an Initial Consultation

It is very easy to immigrate to Canada. You will need to apply through one of these 10 programs:

1. Express Entry Programs (Federal)

2. Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP)

3. Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program

4. Quebec-selected Skilled Workers Program

5. Refugees

6. Start-up Visa Program (Business Owner)

7. Family Sponsorship

8. Self-employed Artists and Athletes

9. International Experience Canada (IEC) (31 countries)

10. Study Permit (colleges and universities)

More information on these programs:

1. Express Entry Programs (Federal)

There are 3 programs: Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trades, and Canadian Experience Class.

You must have:

  • high-level language skills (for example IELTS band 6-7)
  • work experience of 1 – 2 years in NOC zero (management jobs), A (professional jobs with a university degree) or B (technical jobs and skilled trades with a college diploma or training as an apprentice)
  • job offer if you’re applying under ‘Federal Skilled Trades Program’
  • secondary (high school) minimum if you’re applying under ‘Federal Skilled Worker Program’

NOC stands for National Occupation Classification.  It’s a list of all the occupations in Canada. You must know your NOC in Canada.

2. Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP)

Each province has a program for immigrants with the skills, education, and experience they need. To be nominated, you need to go on each province’s government website and contact them directly.

Saskatchewan has a very good program called SINP (Saskatchewan Provincial Nominee Program) which has shorter processing times and requires lower IELTS scores (band 4-5). Fees: $300 Processing Time: varies ( with a job offer: 4 weeks; occupation in demand/express entry: 27-29 weeks).

3. Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program

You must:

  • get a job offer from an employer in the Atlantic province
  • to take a language test, such as IELTS, to prove that you can speak English or French
  • get ECA (Educational Credential Assessment) report to show that your education – diploma, degree, certificate – compare to Canadian
  • show you have money to support yourself and your family in Canada – ‘proof of funds’. For example, a family of 3 people will need $4, 773

Fees: starting at $1,040

Processing Time: 6 months

4. Quebec-selected skilled workers

If you want to live in Quebec, you need to apply to the Government of Quebec. Quebec has its own rules. If the province of Quebec chooses you, they will give you a special certificate to continue the process.

Fees: from $1,040

Processing time: 17 months

5. Refugees

Refugees are people who are in danger of torture, have their lives at risk or risk cruel treatment or punishment because of their race, religion, political opinion, nationality, or membership in a social group, such as women or people of a particular sexual orientation.

6. Start-up visa

If you are an entrepreneur who has the skills to build a big business in Canada and create jobs for Canadians, you can apply through this program.

Fees: $1,540

Processing time: 12 to 16 months

7. Family sponsorship

If you have relatives in Canada who are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents, they can sponsor you. They will need to be able to support you financially – pay for your food, clothing, and housing.

Sponsor a child: from $150,    Sponsor an adult: from $1,040

8. Self-employed Persons Program (for Artists and Athletes)

The self-employed Persons Program is for people with experience in cultural activities or athletics who want to continue working as Artists or Athletes in Canada.

Fees to immigrate: from $1,540

Processing time: 24-25 months

9. International Experience Canada

If you are young (18-35 years old) and from a list of 31 eligible countries, IEC ‘International Experience Canada’ program may be for you. Click here ‘Working Holiday – Open Work Permit’) to find out more. After working in Canada under the IEC program, you can apply for immigration as a Federal or Provincial Skilled Worker.

10. Study Permit (colleges and universities)

Another option is to come on Study Permit to study at a Canadian University or College. You must have enough money to pay your tuition fees and living expenses. After you graduate from a college or university in Canada, you can apply to become a permanent resident. Click here ‘Study Permit: Who can apply for more information.

Source: englishandimmigration

If you are ready to immigrate to Canada then click the below link to submit a request for an Initial Consultation.



Here are the most important things to do during your first days in Canada.

1. Choose a good neighborhood to enroll your children in a good school

Your child will have to go to your neighborhood school so be very careful when choosing where to live. If you came to Canada to give a good education to your children, choose a school with a good reputation, and settle in that neighborhood. Not all public schools are equally good – sometimes there is a huge difference.

2. Get help: Find an Immigrant Service Agency / a Community Center 

These centers will help you with almost anything: enrolling your child in school, finding a place to live, writing a Canadian-style resume, getting ready for a job interview, etc. If you have a problem or don’t know something, ask to be guided.

3. If it’s winter, learn how to dress!

Don’t suffer – learn how to dress in winter. Windchill in winter is the reason for feeling so cold. Whenever the temperature drops, your body needs several days to adjust. If you came from a warmer country, it will take your body time to adjust. The secret to dressing warmly is to dress in layers: you need a minimum of two layers on your legs (or three if it’s really cold) and up to 5 layers on your body. Boots are very important.

4. Know your transportation options and study the map 

What public transportation is available? Are there buses, subway, streetcars? The sooner you’re comfortable with traveling around the city, the sooner you will feel comfortable. Start by walking around your neighborhood. Take public transportation. It is very important that you don’t feel like a prisoner in your new place. If you can go anywhere, whether driving your own car or taking transit, you will feel free. Get a paper copy of the map or use google map, whichever you like more, but be sure you understand the city/town you live in. Become very familiar with the map and where everything is located. The sooner you do it, the sooner you stop feeling like a stranger.

5. Find a place to volunteer

If you don’t have a job yet, you must find a place to volunteer as soon after your arrival as you can. It will help you learn many things faster, including improving your English, getting Canadian experience, making social connections, getting references, and more. You can volunteer as little as two hours a week or as much as 5 days a week, whatever fits your life.

6. Know what to do in a medical emergency

  • 911: call 911 if somebody’s life is in danger. 911 operators will find somebody who speaks your language.
  • hospitals: ER (emergency rooms) can have a very long waiting time! Find out how long ER waiting times in your local hospital are – it could be several hours
  • walk-in clinic: is there a local walk-in clinic near your new home? These often have shorter waiting times to see a doctor (30 min to 1 hour).
  • family doctor: if you have children, it’s better to find a family doctor. If you’re single or just married, you could opt to use walk-in clinic services.
  • dentist: if you don’t have insurance that covers your dental expenses, there may be options, such as community health organizations, colleges, and universities that teach dentistry and have dental clinic programs, public health programs, and special dental care programs for children – ask your local Immigrant Services Center

7. Be careful: fraud in Canada

Yes, there is a lot of fraud in Canada too. It is very important to know that not every email you receive is legitimate. It could look like an email from your bank or from your cell phone company, but don’t automatically believe it!! The same applies to phone calls: calls from your bank may not be calls from your bank, calls from the CRA could be fake too. Do not answer any personal questions – do not give out any personal information. Hang up, find the real phone number and call yourself.

Any call saying you won some prize is a fraud. There’s also a lot of fraud in certain areas, such as moving services (if you need to move, always ask somebody to recommend a good company), job market (if they ask money from you, for example for training, and guarantee you a job after, don’t believe them), home repair scams, fake health treatment claims (miracle cure, for example for weight loss), fake charities, etc. Be careful, don’t believe things that look too good to be true or urge you to act quickly.

8. Surround yourself with English

Children adapt to the new county faster and learn the language faster because they are surrounded by English – their homework is in English, their classmates and teachers speak English, etc. As an adult, you can do the same! It’s going to be hard at first but if you watch TV in English, listen to the radio in English, watch English videos on YouTube, talk English on social media (Facebook, Instagram, etc.), read English newspaper/magazines daily, and speak to people in English at work (at your volunteer job), you will make progress almost as fast as your children!

Word of Caution on the Free English Classes:

While some classes are excellent, others could be of rather poor quality. There is no standard curriculum for these classes so a lot depends on the provider and on the individual teacher. Unfortunately, some new immigrants who don’t know this spend 3-5 or more years taking these classes but never learn to speak the language outside the classroom.

Source: englishandimmigration

If you have any more queries, you can ask your question in the forum of Canadians Live.

Immigrate to Canada as a Truck Driver


It may seem like an odd shortage to have but Canada is in growing need of truck drivers. With a small population spread over the second-largest country in the world, the country is looking towards immigrants to solve this employment issue. It has been announced that they hope to introduce over a million new workers into their economy within the next 3 years. We have compiled a list of reasons why this is actually a well-paying job and we explain how to immigrate to Canada as a truck driver.

With the shortage expected to grow to 500, 000 open positions in the next 5 years, your chances of immigration in this field are fairly high with the application to the correct program. The average age of truck drivers in Canada is 48, meaning that an incoming younger population of potential residents have quite a long career-span ahead of them as the workforce continues to age. Our regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) have a wealth of knowledge surrounding immigration policy and the over 70 different programs on offer. We can help to guide you through the process, paving the way to permanent residence in no time. Start Your Journey Now

Why Consider Being a Truck Driver in Canada?

Being a long-haul truck driver has plenty of perks including a salary of between $55, 000 and $70, 000 per year (as well as some bonus payments). The industry varies in terms of what you can do as a truck driver which also moves the pay scale up or down accordingly. For this reason, we recommend jobs that cover the longer routes cross-country which guarantee you a higher salary and more benefits. The schedule is fairly flexible with some trips taking place over several months or for just a week. You also have the opportunity to negotiate with your employer to determine how long you would like to work and how many days you will have off in a month.

Driving can also be an interesting way of seeing the Canadian cityscapes and wilderness. Pass by wonders like the Rockies with its neighboring forests and fjords as well as the major cities such as Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal, all destinations that need resources delivered. There’s also a lot more social interaction than one might think. Take hold of opportunities to become a team driver where you interchange with other truckers around the country or even pair up with a spouse who can travel (and drive) around the scenic landscapes with you.

What are the Next Steps?

The process of how to immigrate to Canada as a truck driver is fairly simple once you’re aware of the different programs. In order to be considered from the start, you will need a valid license and a clean driving and criminal record. You will need to do a medical screening with a professional, train according to Canadian truck-driving laws, and pass a written test before applying.

Most truck drivers searching for employment in Canada begin by entering the Temporary Foreign Worker Program that gets them access to the country to begin working for a Canadian employer. When applying for this, you already need to have all the above requirements in place or underway to be considered. The employer will then extend an offer and once this is in motion, you are invited to apply for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. For the purpose of fast-track (within 6 months) immigration, you need to create a profile for the Express Entry system.

Before or while working for a Canadian employer on this temporary basis, you can apply online with an ‘Expression of Interest’ to a specific province in Canada. If you meet the criteria, the province will then invite you to apply to a stream within the Provincial Nominee Program for a provincial nomination. An example of a provincial subcategory is the ‘Long-Haul Truck Driver Project’, part of the Provincial Nominee Program’s Saskatchewan Experience Category. This route is dedicated to getting trucking firms to bring long-haul truck drivers through to Canada on a Temporary Foreign Worker Permit. Once you’ve gone through the above process and met the criteria for the chosen province (which is subject to change), the province will nominate you to be considered for residency. This adds 600 points to your ranking under the Comprehensive Ranking System score of your profile. These points help you rank higher against other applicants in the Express Entry system’s pool, which boosts your chance of being drawn with the next round of successful applicants. Am I Eligible? Check Now

Source: canadianvisa

If you have any more queries, you can ask your question in the forum of Canadians Live.

Visitor & transit visas


Temporary travel to Canada: Visitor & transit visas

Every year, over 20 million people visit Canada on a temporary basis. All such visitors need the necessary documents to legally enter the country. This section covers the basics of two types of travel authorization; Visitor & transit visas.

Who needs a visitor or transit visa?

Who needs a visitor or transit visa?

All Canadian citizens, permanent residents, work and study permit holders, and citizens from visa-exempt countries do not need a visitor or transit visa to enter Canada. These individuals may do so using an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or other official documents (for example, Canadian passports). Find more about the eTA application process and requirements in this article.

Likewise, individuals may also be judged ‘inadmissible’ to Canada for certain security, criminal or medical reasons, meaning their visa applications may be denied.

However, if you do not fall into one of these categories, you will need to obtain one of these visas to enter Canada legally:

Transit visa

Travelers (not falling into the above categories) stopping in Canada for less than 48 hours on their way to another country need to get a transit visa.

Visa-required travelers

Admissible individuals traveling to Canada for longer than 48 hours from the following countries (check under ‘Visa-required) need a visitor visa.

Under such visas (also known as temporary residents’ visas), individuals are usually permitted to stay in Canada for up to six months. However, on entry, border service officers may determine the allotted duration of their stay, meaning this period can last more or less than six months. In any case, these officials put the date by which individuals must leave in their passports and may also give them a document, called a visitor record, with the date by which they need to leave Canada.

Applications and entry

Processing times for both transit and visitor visa applications rarely exceed 30 days.

To apply for one of these visas, you will need to:

  • Complete and submit the respective application form (this can usually be done online)
  • Pay the application fee ($100 CAD)
  • Submit biometrics within 30 days of the date on the letter requesting you do this.

 To enter Canada on one of these visas, you need the following documents:

  • A valid passport with a minimum validity of six months remaining 
  • A completed Canadian Visa Application Form
  • Two recent passport size colored photos 
  • Bank statement which shows all recent (up to six months) transactions

 Canadian authorities may also ask certain individuals to:

  • Provide proof of the purpose of their trip to Canada (such as a letter of invitation from a Canadian permanent resident or company)
  • Send proof of their health condition. Thus, they may need a doctor’s examination before arriving depending on their country of current residence/origin.


Individuals must apply to extend their visa at least 30 days prior to the end of its validity should they wish to remain in Canada longer than initially permitted. Usually, applicants may do this online, the processing time is up to 100 days and applicants must pay a fee starting at $100 CAD. Individuals are permitted to remain in Canada under “implied status” while their application is processed even if their initial visa expires during this time. Successful applicants are issued a visitor record and can stay in Canada until the date written on this.

Family visits

If you wish to visit parents or grandparents in Canada for longer than 6 months, you may apply to do so for up to 2 years at a time under a Super Visa. Super Visas are multi-entry visas valid for up to 10 years. Processing times vary depending on the nationality of the relative you are visiting but again, rarely takes over 100 days and incurs the same $100 CAD fee.

The process and documents required for minor children (below the age of 18) to travel to Canada vary depending on who they are traveling with.

source: justlanded

If you have any more queries, you can ask your question in the forum of Canadians Live.

Rights as a worker in Canada


If you’re working in Canada, your Rights as a worker in Canada are protected by law. The vast majority of Canadian employers comply with the rules and provide positive and safe workplace environments. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, so it is crucial to know what you can expect from employers, and how to make sure you are treated well in the workplace.

Most employees are protected by provincial law, but some industries are federally-regulated

Your labor rights in Canada

Each province and territory has its own Human Rights Act or Code, which governs employment rights in the province. These rights and standards are largely the same across Canada – the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion provides a detailed comparison. 

To cut out the legalese, the basic thing you need to know is this: you have rights in the workplace, and there are mechanisms to help you if your rights are abused.

Your rights on the job in Canada

Throughout your career, you’ll benefit from certain rights as a worker in Canada relating to pay, schedule, sickness or holiday leave, and other aspects of working life. Overall these are fairly similar across the country, although there can be slight differences between provinces. 

One key takeaway that applies across the country is the number of hours in a workweek. A working day is usually considered to be eight hours long (this may include an unpaid break). Over a five-day workweek, this means that most full-time workers clock around 35 to 40 hours. However, working anywhere from 30 to 40 hours per week is usually considered full-time employment, for the purposes of benefits and deductions calculations (for example, even if you work 30 hours a week, you could be eligible for the benefits and deductions applicable to a full-time employee).

If you work more than 40 hours a week, you should usually be entitled to overtime pay. This can vary by position and industry, so check the provincial advice pages linked below. When in doubt, it is always appropriate to ask about these details in a job interview or when you are hired.

The conditions for vacation pay vary between provinces, but again the basics are the same: employees earn vacation pay at a rate of four percent, which equates to two weeks’ vacation per year if you’re working full-time (this usually goes up to six percent and three weeks’ vacation after a number of years with the same employer). However, it is important to note that every employee earns vacation pay on their earnings: if you are employed part-time, you also have a right to vacation pay equalling four percent of your earnings.

Every province and territory also has its own conditions for “job-protected” or authorized leaves, such as sick days, bereavement leaves, and maternity/paternity leave. The conditions and entitlements vary, but the underlying concept is the same: wherever you work in Canada, there are ways for you to take the time off that you need, during which your job is protected. That is, if the absence meets the conditions set out in the province or territory’s labor standards, your employer cannot fire you and must let you return to work if you wish to.

Statutory holidays in Canada

Several statutory, or “bank”, holidays are celebrated across Canada, and employees get these days off in addition to their vacation time. Adding to statutory holidays, there are also provincial holidays.

If a holiday falls during your scheduled vacation, you still get it as an additional vacation day (for example, if you take five business days off work over the July 1 weekend, you would use up only four days of your vacation time). If you are required to work on a recognized holiday, overtime wages may apply – the way this is calculated can vary by province, so check their pages for more information.

Rights as a worker in Canada should be ensured for everyone, and this is the case for the overwhelming majority of people, but it always helps to know your rights.

source: moving2canada

If you have any more queries, you can ask your question in the forum of Canadians Live.