There are many ways to immigrate to Canada as a couple, from spousal sponsorship to more traditional paths with your spouse joining you as a dependent. Spousal relationships that are considered for Canadian immigration purposes include same-sex couples and common-law partners.    

The spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner looking to immigrate to Canada under spousal sponsorship category

must be sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

If you applied to sponsor spouse outside Canada, as the decision is made and sponsorship application is approved,

Canadian immigration authorities will issue the applicant Canada Spouse Visa (a confirmation of permanent residence).

If you are looking to apply for spousal sponsorship inside Canada, the application must processed first and once approved,

applicant’s status will change from temporary to permanent.

Spousal sponsorship within Canada gives an opportunity to person being sponsored and living in Canada to apply for an Open-Work Permit.

Spousal Sponsorship

One of the quickest ways to get your partner over to Canada is through the Spousal Sponsorship Category (part of Family Class immigration).

This is the best option for those who already have a spouse living in Canada or are married to a Canadian who is able to sponsor them for permanent residence.

If you want to Immigrate to Canada as a Couple, the Sponsor will need to first establish permanent residence in Canada through one of the many immigration programs available. Once the Sponsor has achieved permanent residence the application be made for sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner. Immigrating with your partner as a dependent means you can both apply for permanent residency together.

Relationship Requirements
SpouseIn this case, the Sponsor and the Sponsored person are legally married. For marriage in Canada, a Certificate of marriage is required from the province where the marriage took place. Marriage outside of Canada must be lawful in the country where it took place as well as Canada. A same-sex marriage that took place outside of Canada can not be considered under this category but an application can be made under the other two.
Common-Law PartnerIn this category, the Sponsor and Sponsored person must cohabit consistently for a minimum of one year.
Conjugal PartnerThis category is for applicants who do not qualify under the other two categories for exceptional circumstances such as same-sex marriage restrictions in their country of origin or other immigration barriers. The Sponsor and Sponsored person must demonstrate a level of commitment (financial ties/emotional ties/joint assets) that spans the period of at least one year.

Sponsor Applicant Requirements

  • Sponsor must be at least 18 years of age
  • Be a Canadian permanent resident living in Canada/Canadian citizen
  • No criminal history
  • Cannot have been sponsored as a spouse within the last five years

Sponsored Applicant Requirements

If you have any more queries, you can ask your question in the forum of Canadians Live.

Choose your Reaction!
Leave a Comment